Mechanical Hot Tapping Machines
- Hot tap steel, copper, brass or aluminum pipe for installing branch connections from 3/4” to 4” valves.
- Pressure rated 300 psi for ambient temperatures or 15 psi for steam systems.
- Eliminates the need to shut down, drain, cut, refit and refill piping systems.
- Watertight seal to allow drilling under pressure.
- Commercial and industrial applications.
|Catalog No.||Item Code||Description||Valve Size||Weight|
|DM3MECH||08350||Kit for NPT with hole saws and arbor in storage case||3/4" - 4"||12.0||5.5|
|DM3MECHB||08351||Base model for NPT in storage case, no hole saws or arbor||3/4" - 4"||10.0||4.5|
|DM3MECHBSPT||08354||Kit for BSPT with hole saws, arbor in storage case||3/4" - 4"||12.0||5.5|
|DM3MECHBSPTB||08355||Base model for BSPT in storage case, no hole saws or arbor||3/4" - 4"||10.0||4.5|
All REED DM3MECH models make branch connections through 3/4” to 4” valves on any appropriately sized mainline for most piping materials. With the right hole saw, these machines connect to chilled and hot water systems up to 300 psi and steam systems up to 15 psi without a shutdown of service This process is known as hot tapping. The machine works for mild steel, galvanized steel, stainless steel, copper, brass and aluminum pipe. Mechanical Hot Tapping Machine drills through the pipe wall via fittings inserted into the service saddle or thread-o-let. The machine eliminates the need to shut down, drain, cut, refit and refill piping systems.
DM3MECH consists of a main body assembly that fits into a 1 ¼” NPT fitting (not provided), along with ½” diameter shafts, hole saws, arbor, coupon retaining drill bit and more. DM3MECHBSPT features a main body assembly that fits into a 1 ¼” BSPT fitting (not provided), along with ½” diameter shafts, hole saws, arbor, coupon retaining drill bit and more. Base models DM3MECHB (for NPT) and DM3MECHBSPTB (for BSPT) exclude the holes saws and hole saw arbor. All DM3MECH Mechanical Hot Tapping Machine models provide the tapping machine only, with valves, saddles, fittings and piping supplied by the operator.
What is "Hot Tapping"?
Hot Tapping makes it possible to safely tie into a pressurized system, by drilling into the pipe, while it is still in operation. This is done on a main line to attach a branch connection to a pipe to create a new supply line. The term hot tapping refers to fact the pipe is being drilled under pressure. The operation does not produce threads in the pipe; it is strictly a drilling operation.
- Hole saws are to be used per hole saw manufacturer's recommended RPM with a 3/8" or 1/2” drill motor.
- Not recommended for ammonia, gas or other caustic systems.
- This DM3MECH tool is not recommended for use on plastic pipe.